Monday, May 7, 2007

Yay! I finally got lirc working...

I have a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo card that comes along with a remote which I finally got working today. So here's what I did to get it working on my distro, openSUSE 10.2:
  • install lirc and lirc-kmp-default using Yast2.
  • changed entries 'LIRCD_DEV_PERMISSIONS="666"', 'LIRCD_DRIVER=pinsys' and 'LIRCD_DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0' (for receiver connected to COM1) in /etc/sysconfig/lirc file.
  • used 'irrecord' command to create a config file for the remote and copied it over to /etc/lircd.conf. (You can also use the provided config file for Pinnacle remote in remotes directory of lirc source.)
  • Got lirc to start as service on boot using Yast2 (System->System Services).
  • Started irkick and configured modes and events as per my convenience.
If you want irkick to start automatically on login, just start irkick once and exit from it using the pop-up menu from the irkick panel icon. At this time irkick will ask if you want it to start automatically on login. Select your choice at this time.

One can use control tvtime using irkick by using the command 'tvtime-command'. See it's man page for the available control options. Use the 'Kde Program Launcher' option available when you are assigning a new function to the remote control button. For starting tvtime initially, just use the Kde Program Launcher to start 'tvtime' command.

Now that I have lirc setup properly, I can control both tvtime and amarok using my remote. This is great! Also, using DCOP, I can shut down my computer using the remote.

I still haven't found out how to simulate a keyboard key event so that I can browse through the kmenu. If anyone knows about this, please tell me. Cheers!

No comments: